Approximately 1 in 3 of all adults over the age of 65 will fall at least once a year. Half of those people who do fall consequently experience a serious setback in their quality of life. In this Falls Prevention class we focus on the principles and movements of Tai Chi to help older adults improve their balance and increase their confidence in doing everyday activities.
The program is designed to meet the specific needs of older adults. All exercises can be modified to accommodate individuals in various health conditions, and all exercises can be done in a seated position. You will learn graceful, slow and fluid movements proven to help prevent falls. In fact, those who complete this evidence based program are proven to reduce their risk of falls by up to 55%.
Benefits and Goals
- Improve balance and physical performance.
- Improve social and mental well-being.
- Improve confidence in conducting daily activities.
- Reduce the risk of falling and sustaining fall injuries.
- Maintain independence and improve quality of life.
- Decrease blood pressure.
- Improve sleep quality.
- Improve cardiovascular and respiratory function.
- Be willing to engage in a 12 week falls prevention program
- Consult your primary care physician before joining the program for medical clearance
- Have a strong personal desire and commitment to participate in the program
- Give permission for exercise staff to call physician or person giving treatment when necessary
Tuesday & ThursdaySeptember 25
Tuesday & Thursday